Sunday, July 25, 2010

RV Trials and Tribulations

TO SLEEP, PERCHANCE TO DREAM

If you can call sleeping in an RV parked outside your house a "trial run", then officially we are running, and running hard.  In my youth, I have spent a lot of time in quite a number of tents (the good, the bad, the leaky), and later in life, I have spent a lot of time sleeping in hotel rooms across the country (the good, the bad, the pretentious) but last night was my first time ever sleeping in a RV (our RV for the next 4 months, the SAD-mobile as it has already been dubbed).  I could tell you stories about motel rooms "on the road" in those ill fated cross country musical tours, but they would all sound like trite cliches so I'll save you the sordid details of what I have found in beds, what I have heard in the next room at 3 in the morning and the grossest toilet/washroom/shower awards I have given out - there is this place in Red Rock ON......

Last night didn't work, the power wouldn't work (faulty battery cable), the brand new MEC sleeping bags ended up bunched up neither on top nor underneath us (we didn't do the traditional 1 bag for 1 person thing, but tried the couple friendly 2 bags for 2 people tango), I banged my head on every conceivable outpouching, cupboard, ceiling, while Monique couldn't breathe in the canopy part (too closed in) and couldn't breathe the musty odor of used/but not used for a while staleness and all this in the absolute PERFECT situation - a beautiful summer day in Calgary. Put this same scenario in a sub zero sleet storm in Moose Breath NF and I would have been calling the locals for a tranquilizer gun (always wanted to try one of those on a few select individuals)

But the main thing is that we're (should read "I'm") having FUN.  The test was important to work out the bugs - come to think of it, that was definitely a big positive - there were no bugs, the numerous itchy red welts on my legs are from.........shaving.  We survived, have a new game plan for tonight and are one step closer to doing this "for real".

Did I say I was going to post some pix soon,
soon enough
(God it LOOKS great, maybe Monique will even want to sleep in it)

random quote of the day
no man is rich enough to buy back his past 


weird event of the day
today some guy going the other direction on Jean Laurie Blvd, rolls down his window and starts yelling at me. The screams were lost and all I heard was something like "@#$%^&^^)(*^&*(*^%^ off the ($%*($@#$%* road"
I was minding my own business going in the complete opposite direction on a completely different road than he was one - it was hot today and maybe the fact that I was cycling au naturale bothered him (I did have a helmet on!!)
me thinks I'm going to get a lot more of this when I truly am on the same road as some of these irate drivers, irregardless of what I am or am not wearing. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment