Saturday, July 31, 2010

today was day 0 - tommorow is mile 0

Tommorow is the day that we've been moving towards for almost 2 years - the true launch of the tour
Beacon Hill Park, Mile 0, Victoria, BC Canada tomorrow, Sunday 0900hrs. Hope to meet a few friends and shoot some photos and video, do a brief presentation, shed a few tears, have a few laughs, dip in a toe in the Pacific ocean and start on a trip that will be life changing for myself and hopefully more than a few people I meet.

What another beautiful day today. Got to do a bit of sailing, played games, ate far too well and just enjoyed the company. I can't say enough about the Attwell family - their zest for life and unending generosity to us.

Just a few things I need to get straight before I start
1. I am not going to shave my legs to start this tour despite what the hard core cyclists are suggesting (I might change my mind, but the thought is not appealing - I am a very hairy guy!
2. I am both running and cycling throughout the tour so that I can tell the cyclists that I am a really more of a runner and that's why I am so slow on the bike, and I can tell all the runners that I am a more of a cyclist and that's why I am such a slow runner (BRILLIANT)
3. I am not the Energizer Bunny, rather closer to the Energizer Tortoise - long and steady will win in this tour and why I will succeed is based more on my stubborness than my athletic abilities.
4. I will not apologize for talking about mental illness and depression. This is an awareness tour and this IS my mission, and I do plan to talk (and listen a lot!)

I'll hopefully be able to post some great pictures, maybe a bit of good video about the Tour kick-off so keep posted

Random quotes of the day

Never regret something that once made you smile Amber Deckers

Pessimism is an excuse for not trying and a guarantee to a personal failure
Bill Clinton

Tommorrow is a big day, so early to bed, early to rise, gets one to Victoria to say thanks and goodbyes! HERE WE COME CANADA

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and Canadians are so grateful to you Dr. J for taking the time out of your successful and busy life to travel across Canada to educate and bring out of the closet, depression and mental illness. I am pushing for a Department of Mental Health for all governments. We cannot leave Health together anymore as we are fast learning the illnesses of the mind far affect our bodies, families and communities and should not be all lumped up together especially in funding departments. Until we deal with the depression and stresses of the good folks in the millennium, we shall continue with out of control illnesses and unnecessary suffering for all. So go Ted go, spread those words of healing and hope that we so need to hear! here hear! xox

    ReplyDelete