Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cruising into CALGARY - Home Sweet Home!

Day #11 SNM Tour
What an absolutely great, great day!!

Started with a coolish run out of Banff, with a backdrop of the mountains lit up by the morning sun.

(that's an unedited photo from my iphone - still looks great!)

Team SAD no more, Team Happy? met us just outside of Banff and Justine, Geoff, James and I blazed our way to Calgary, arriving easily in under 4 hours even with a few breaks thrown in (thanks Justine - you probably saved me a few times).


These guys are the real thing and I don't say this with false modesty. Whenever I ride with hard core cyclists - I realize that I am a very average, if very stubbornly persistent cyclist. Whenever I climb hills with these same cyclists I am fully humbled, we all get to the top, but after that they are in another league. 


I almost always train alone - running and cycling, so it is a real treat to get out with people.  The training time for me is both physically and mentally therapeutic and to be honest, in my work, I spend each and everyday listening and talking to people for hours on end, so this alone time is sacred.  Having said this, cycling with the team today felt absolutely fantastic, very uplifting and energizing!  Thanks to you all for joining in the tour and I appreciate it greatly!!




This was Lin's last day with us as a support driver - it was great having her along! Thanks to both her and Jeff for their support - "Thanks Lin -  if I said you drove like a big rig trucker take it as a supreme compliment".  I felt very safe with her (literally) protecting my back side!

Jeff and Lin celebrated their 1st annivesary (again) - they were apart for a few days.....

I had a radio and television interview upon arrival in Edworthy Park and have a few media events planned for the next few days.  We just found out that there was a very nice article in the Kelowna newspaper (The Daily Courier) a few days ago - every bit helps and spreads the word of this awareness campaign.


Our day sponsor today was K.B. Lee of Ever Bamboo.  I've been using their products for quite some time now, initially in my running shoes and now virtually everywhere. They have a full spectrum of merch and I will certainly vouch for them - they do what they say they do.  Living in an enclosed space for the next few months, every odour is magnified. I am running and cycling every day - I think you get the point. These products help greatly http://www.everbamboo.com/ .  I don't want to use this blog as advertising but I also can't suppress an opinion if it is strong.

Random quote of the day
Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death
Harold Wilson

We could never have loved the earth so well if we had had no childhood in it
George Eliot

So Monique gets to sleep in her own bed tonight which makes her immensely happy.  Despite us being away only 2 weeks, there is a mountain of mail and business to attend to because we are home and actually have a few days to do it - oh well, bittersweet.....

And how good does it get?  Well, upon our arrival, our neighbor brought over our mail - with a bottle of champagne to welcome us back and congratulate us on completing the first leg of our journey - thanks Karen, it`s the little things that sometimes mean so very much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment