Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Kruising into K-Town, a cool ride into the heat

Day 4 SNM Tour

Out of Merritt with a nasty little straight up the mountain run to start the day. The day went very smoothly with some good climbs and an amazingly long descent and in no time...Lake Okanagan never looked better. I train on the highways leading into town so the end of the cycle was just like a typical training run - except that I had this RV behind me and people tooting and showing support (as opposed to just plain honking and yelling - which is more typical)


Kelowna has become our second home in the past few years and it was a bit like coming home today - knowing that we will take a few days in the beautiful sun and heat of the Okanagan.  There are media interviews planned for tomorrow and a talk in the evening, but right now, time to pick some fresh produce from our little garden, have a nice supper and just enjoy the rest of the glorious day.

This tour day is dedicated to Glen and Jeanette who were instrumental in getting our tour RV, (a huge source of angst  for us - we are forever grateful! Charlesglen Toyota has become one of our major sponsors and this tour would not be what it is without the support and encouragement of good people like the Richardsons.  

There's a good shot of the SUNSHINE BEAST!!

Saw my first bear today.
In the middle of absolutely nowhere there was a small stone monument which instantly caught my eye.  I made Monique stop and take a photo.  When I was a kid, my absolutely favorite stuffed toy was a little elephant called Crumpets.  Monique's was a bear apparently with no name, Gab's Cabbage patch doll called Justine and Eric's was "my buddy" which he wrote all over one day with a blue pen (??why) and we have never let him forget it.

Inspirational view of the day
On a particularly long ascent, in a particularly hot section with absolutely no wind (read - I was sweating my *ss off) I saw a spectacular sight. A huge stone angel sculpture  on top of a rock in the middle of a stony creek. I felt the hair stand up on the back of my neck and I seemed to just fly up the rest of the hill

Random quotes of the day
For all that has been,thanks. For all that will be, YES
Dag Hammarskjold

Put a grain of boldness into everything you do
Baltasar Gracian



   

6 comments:

  1. good to see you are on the road and look forward to your posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring...pure and simple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your inspirational view of the day.....when you get goose bumps, we get goose bumps and that ends any sadness in a second. Now that is the kind of bear action I can take.....lol....I will never forget the bears that have always lived so close to you....I just can not do it. Happy trails! ckc

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoying your inspirational, creatively written blog entries. keeping going dr.j!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it must be nice to see some familiar terrain around kelowna. keep up the amazing work!

    ps my buddy had tattoos!

    love,
    eric

    ReplyDelete