Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blinked and missed Blind River, so sprung into Spragge


yes this is a giant Adirondack wooden chair (why? - why not!)
SNM Tour Day 38

It poured most of the night off and on. So what started out looking like a potentially very rainy day (again) turned from overcast, to cloudy to clear and SUNNY - it was a glorious and much needed!  As much as the sky changed, so to did the landscape, transforming from rock and lakeshore to lush farmland and back again. From coniferous outcroppings to deciduous forests, from fishing camps to livestock farms and everything in between.  A marina and lighthouse and a bit down the road some horses and a massive old wood barn - a mish mash of everything.


The wind was breezy and gusty at times but overall we got in great mileage (170+kms) and it was a good solid day on the road.  We wanted to get at least to Blind River but ended up going past to camp out in Spragge. The last 25 kms were shear delight, with the wind at my back I felt like I was flying. 

When I saw a flock of Canadian Geese honking overhead in a ragged V, I thought it was Fall again. Later it warmed up and the sun was shining, summer was giving in that easy in Ontario and this is great, I could easily take a few more weeks of sun and heat - bring it on.  We saw an unusual number of hawks today, one which flew along the highway with us for quite some time.  There was at least one large eagle, a gigantic osprey nest on a railway pole, and some very large geese in a field (?snow geese - no white markings of a Canada Goose and creaked instead of honked - the picture of them is above, ornithologists please help us rank amateurs)


Les got a early morning run in again today (Joe, she's been fooling you all these years - she loves getting up early and exercising!!) and Monique got in a cycle this afternoon.  I think we've moved from camps to cottages (you have to be in Ontario to understand this reference) and I had to bite my tongue not to stop and go look at lakeshore developements which were springing up all over the route we were travelling on, I know, I know - I've got enough properties, but it can't hurt to just have a look, can it??

Tour Day Sponsor is Alberta College of Family Physicians - thanks for the acknowledgement and support. 

Random quote of the day

Procrastination - something best put off until tomorrow
Author unknown (hardly!)

"There's no place like this"
on an Ontario travel brochure "Yours to discover" (OK, and we are!!)
can't argue this point as we're making our way across this immense province.  

and now a bit of Canadiana with
Ted's Tiny Trivia Teaser

1. The three Bruce brothers; Elliott, Thessalon and Desbarats started the first Copper Mine in Canada (aptly called Bruce Mines) which unfortunately adversely affected a significant number of workers, blinding them from copper poisoning mostly around the area now known as Blind River. 

A little known fact - TRUE or FALSE


2. The bridge in the town of Iron Bridge is made of wood
A little known fact - TRUE or FALSE


As our cell phones now have service again, we were finally able to talk to Gabrielle who is coming back from a special wedding just outside of Halifax made even "more special" by Hurricane Earl - a true candlelight cermemony, reception, after party etc etc. One everyone will certainly remember!

Those are more than twenty bikes lined up on a farmer's fence -
quite a sight!

7 comments:

  1. To reply to Tom's previous post of top 10 road songs - here's my list for today
    all songs are subject to change and order is questionable
    If I made an error on song title / writer / bands (oooooops)

    10. Let it Ride – BTO
    9. I Can see clearly now – Holly Cole version
    8. Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
    7. California Girls – Beach Boys
    6. Time Warp – Rocky Horror Picture Show
    5. Back in the USSR – The Beatles
    4. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meatloaf
    3. Sunny Days – Lighthouse
    2. Graceland – Paul Simon
    1. Jack and Dianne – John Mellencamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric "the gladiator" JablonskiSeptember 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM

    lovin this set list! but what about "life is a highway" by tom cochrane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric "the punisher" JablonskiSeptember 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

    i have been keeping an inventory of my meals while biking this summer in Calgary and Kelowna. here it goes:

    gnats: 97
    mosquitoes: 5
    drosophila/fruit flies: 2
    moth: 1
    bee: 1 (on the lip today!!! not in the mouth, thank god)

    so, let's hear about your ingestions while on the road with Sad No More.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great ride with Ted yesterday, thanks to Leslie who encouraged me (pushed me out of the RV) and protected our butts with excellent "mama bear instincts" in the support vehicle RV.

    Seeing as I HAVE been seeing what comes up behind us all along the way and at times, how fast they do so, this ride was as tough mentally if not tougher than the physical aspect of it. But I'm really glad I got out there. Thanks also to Ted who understood my trepidation and stuck with me all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ingested a few flies and mosquitoes back in AB and SK but have since learned to breath with my mouth shut while riding - some little buggers are quite insistent though, don't you think? I think one of them tried to get up my nose yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Eric, the jester
    Life is a highway, almost made the list (as did Tom Cochrane's - In the Big Leagues, I think that's the name of the song)

    As per bugs - a lot on the prairies but much less in the last week, I've had to increase my protein supplements to make up the deficiency

    ReplyDelete
  7. visit rocking on the river, next time your in blind river on the civic weekend.
    www.rockingontheriver.com

    ReplyDelete