Saturday, September 4, 2010

Marathon? ultra marathon maybe....

Sorry for delay in posting again
we finally have internet back in Wawa so able to post 1 day late


SNM Tour Day #34



Rained all night and rained all day. I knew I was in trouble when the morning run was almost like scaling a mountain. Occasional drops to heavy showers (repeat), heavy gusting winds (repeat+) winding highway (repeat ++) steep climbs to steep descents (repeat+++) – you get the picture, this was one *&?%%$#?%$* of a day, perhaps the most challenging to date. When I was done, I was literally DONE. There were no real breaks, if there was a “pause that refreshes” I missed it. I almost cried in relief when I saw the Marathon sign (little did I know this town holds a record for most welcoming city signs, I think they start at about 20 km outside town limits and repeat every 2 km or so – further lengthening a day which could have ended about 5 minutes after the alarm rang and everyone might have been content. Good thing – we are definitely ahead of schedule by some 80 km... Bad news – it may take a few days to recuperate. We’ll play it by ear and hopefully the weather and landscape won’t kill us. As I sit and do this blog, there appears to be a hurricane outside and I’m watching large branches fly by the windows of the RV which is rocking and jerking quite violently.



I feel just a bit cheated today in the sense that this North Superior highway is spectacular and on a beautiful sunny day this would have been a heavenly ride. I thought of Joe, ripping it up in his Porsche around the tight turns and ups and downs. Oh well, maybe on the way back.....



We saw our first moose of the tour, a large cow lumbering just off the highway. We witnessed impressive multi-coloured rock faces - ranging from the red hues (not quite as dramatic as those around Red Rock) to the rust and browns to jet black as the road varied from hundreds of meters above Lake Superior to sea level and back up again. Whoever designed this highway definitely had a sense of adventure and a bit of mischief!



Tour Day Sponsor is Kenneth David Hutchinson – thanks so much for your generosity and support.


Random quote of the day

One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion

Simone d Beauvoir






Les and Monique did not ride today – they are far too wise. As I’m writing this, they are walking (blowing) into town (I wonder if they will make it back in one piece?)
                               hey the road looks just like the logo....

2 comments:

  1. Can't even imagine how difficult that was. Good on ya for coming out smiling on the other side, or at least with an exhausted grin.

    Leslie & Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I'll take any/all encouragement I can get!

    ReplyDelete