Sunday, September 26, 2010

Moving into Marvelous Moncton


SNM TOUR Day #57

While still dark, we got an early start out of Fredericton.  I ran across a pedestrian bridge and all along the river on a smaller road to get out of town. Quite a pleasant run to start the day.  Similarly cycled along a smaller road until we connected to the Trans Canada, then stayed along the highway the rest of the way to Moncton. 

Some days when the wind is at your back, you sort of feel like you are cheating just a little bit. Well today I absolutely did not feel I cheated even for a minute.  There was a head wind the entire day, not that it was that strong, but it was a bit of a fight all day long. When the 160+ km day was complete, I felt like I had put in a good, solid day "at the office".  The summer is still fighting to hang on, although there definitely was a bit of a Autumn chill in the air today despite the sunshine (yes we saw some glorious sun for at least some of the day)


Now if you've been following my blog, you will have read about the various bird and animal sightings that we've had since the start of the tour.  Well is it a coincidence that when my sister the ecologist/botanist is with us, we would see a consistent array? We saw flocks of geese on several occasions, many ducks, more than the usual sightings of great blue herons and our second moose, in all its splendour!

I met and cycled briefly with Shawn and Lisanne this morning.  They started their cross Canada trek in August and were making their way to Halifax, being a week or so away from finishing off their journey.  The typical conversation between cyclists such as us....... where did you start and what day are you on? how is your bike holding up? how many flats have you had? how many close calls have you had?  how have the people been that you've met? how's your blog going?  what have you seen in the ditches?..............  We talk almost in abbreviations and what must sound like code to someone listening, the vernacular of the road. People who have common shared experiences such as this need only a grin or a nod to perfectly describe hours and hours, days and days of time. I wish Lisanne and Shawn all the best over the last leg of their long journey.  
 

Tour Sponsor- Canada Diagnostics Centres, thanks again for all of your encouragement and support

Random Quotes of the Day
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right
G.M. Trevelyan

In solitude, where we are least alone
George Gordon

Home is a shelter from storms - all sorts of storms.
William Bennett

I'll post a flower a day while Leanne is with us - Monique will certainly not complain about it, if it were up to her I'd be posting nothing but flowers each and every day.


4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've had a nice break. Also good to know that Leanne's on board. Did we miss it or were the answers to the New Brunswick quiz posted in code?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a while since I checked in with your blog. I am totally inspired by what you are doing!!

    I miss New Brunswick. We lived in Moncton for several years and I loved the fall colours!! Enjoy!

    Jodi Boucher

    ReplyDelete
  3. B+B
    the correct answers were
    A, B, C, D, E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring on those wild animals and flowers, exactly what all of Canada needs to fill our souls and make us happy again, not to mention every picture taken on this fabulous trek!

    ReplyDelete