Friday, September 24, 2010

Fffffffffflowing into Fredericton

SNM Tour Day #55
They said there was a 100% chance of rain today - they were CORRECT.

Rain and rain it did - all day long.  The run was actually reasonable, hilly and wet, but reasonable.  Once I got on the bike, I either miscalculated the wind and temperature or I have to give in and accept that it is not summer any longer.  I got wet and chilled and had to stop and change into the heavy rain gear (which I have not worn as yet in the 54 days leading up to today). In my fortified and water tight gear, I was able to complete the day without much problem, puttering into the city before lunch.  The only other saving grace apart from the effectiveness of the heavy rain gear was that the mileage today was very light.  If you've been following the blog you will know that we had put in extra mileage in the last few days so were ahead of schedule, which certainly paid off today.  A short day on the road, seventh day in a row without a break, was just about enough.
Tomorrow is a rest day off the road - I need it!  We were hoping for more media interest but it seems the provincial elections here have completely taken over (so we've been told).  The CFL coming to Moncton is also very big news in these parts which is very interesting. I had an excellent radio interview from a station in St. John, and there is a lot of correspondence sent for here as well as in Moncton, so hopefully some of this will materialize as stories on air or in print.  

Tour Day Sponsors are Debby and Rod Fischer.  I must tell you that Debby is a Sports Hall of Famer out here in New Brunswick and is exceedingly well known and respected in the the Canadian speed skating world.  She has always been extremely supportive of my artistic pursuits and has really come through on the East Coast, making a few very helpful connections for us.  Thanks so, so much for all the support and encouragement for this tour and over all the years we've known each other.  I've got a speed skating song somewhere within me and when I write it, I will dedicate it to you!!

Thanks to Larry and Anne for your generous hospitality.  Monique is in heaven with your beautiful gardens and yard. It is great to have a home for even a few days to dry off, clean up, and regroup for the final push to the East Coast.

Random Quotes of the Day
For the happiest life, rigorously plan your days, leave your nights open to chance.
Mignon Mclaughlin

“I believe sports is one of the best places you can learn about yourself. Sports puts you head-to-head with the demons you face, and you have to deal with it — right then and there.”
Speed skater Apollo Ohno

I wish I had a river that I could skate away on.......
Joni Mitchell


1 comment:

  1. When we traversed Saskatchewan, I was in awe of all the yellow daisies by the side of the road and the golden fields continued on into Manitoba. I joked that the nature surrounding us was "in tuned" with the SAD no more Tour colour scheme....well, it's happening again! It started in Quebec and now that we are in New Brunswick we are seeing even more of it...the trees are colour coordinating with the Tour RV as we make our way east..It is absolutely marvelous! I am kind of happy that I am driving at reduced speeds because I truly get to appreciate their vibrant hues all day long.

    ReplyDelete