Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Capitalizing in the Capital - Only in Ottawa

SNM Tour Day #45
Short blog today.  Day off the road.

Very interesting lunch presentation at Foreign Affairs Canada for their internal staff, very large and attentive audience with excellent Q+A. Kiosk presentation with health and wellness group at University of Ottawa for university students this afternoon. Given the set-up and standing by a table full of hand-outs with my banner, I felt like I was selling something like VISA cards or extra Air Miles plans, so this was a bit odd.  Had some good discussions with both the staff and students and I think the legacy of the event and all the information left will resonate further in the future as it is used on websites and more students have access to this information.  Thanks Patrick for helping to orchestrate both of these events. These were different than the usual events that I have been involved in to this point of the tour and each new experience / different venue is also a learning one for me.  This evening had a dinner presentation for family physicians, smaller group, but again attentive audience with excellent Q+A.  So the day of rest was quite full of awareness and education and was very eventful - this is why I am here!!



Unfortunately no media today. In our nation's capital, SAD is not newsworthy?? Not sure what this means, but this was very disappointing.  I will be back in town for the MIAW campaign - Champions of Mental Health Gala in October. This event will make national press with coverage in Ottawa and across Canada so my story and the tour will get press in Ottawa (just not this time around).  I will be patient, but I will also be very persistent!!

Back on the road tomorrow as we move again to the next province of Quebec.  Comparatively speaking, Ontario was a long, hard trek.  We have put in significant mileage to this point and will cross another major hurdle soon.  The next few days will not be that onerous and I am looking forward to enjoying La Belle Province.

Tour Day Sponsor is Brian Hunter....thanks again!

Not so Random quote of the day
If Ottawa giveth, then Ottawa can taketh away.
Stephen Harper

 




2 comments:

  1. Ted or Dr J as you're now known -- you are soooooo inspiring!I'm but a flash from your past (junior high) and it's great to see who and all you've become. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks K from the peg
    Junior high, eh??

    ReplyDelete