Monday, September 6, 2010

Mais Oui - Magnificent Montreal River

We have internet again - posted a day late (not too bad)
pictures are coming, look back in a bit and they should be there



SNM Tour Day 36



60% chance of rain – we beat the odds today! It certainly was overcast, with occasional threatening clouds but not a drop. We actually saw the glorious sun again and amidst gusty winds we witnessed some stunning Canadian landscape. There seemed to be a surprise waiting around every bend of the road, and believe me this road twisted and turned non-stop. Picturesque lake after lake, with the odd river or creek. We passed a family of water today – Old Woman River, Baby Lake, Mom Lake, Dad Lake, Orphan Lake (I’m not making these names up) among countless others. There were good ascents and descents again today and as the wind picked up off Lake Superior, you certainly could not let your mind wander as the highway demanded your attention as the wind pushed us around. We saw a pair of loons, a hawk swooped right across the highway in front of me, and a giant blue heron took off in flight as we passed – all pure, unadulterated Canadiana wilderness.



Lake Superior is massive, a vast ocean of a lake and on a windy day such as today, it appears fierce and majestic. It is the largest fresh water lake in the world and certainly commands respect. We’ve been inching along it for a few days now and I can certainly see why so many artists are inspired by these vistas. I have always been very fond of the Group of Seven, and have tried to convince Monique on many occasions to remortgage our house to buy an original piece – she just smiles and nods and I know what the answer is. This is the Canada we were hoping to glimpse on this tour and we have not been disappointed. 



At out Twilight Bay campsite we all scuttled along the rocky beach, soaking in the loud crashing waves, rugged landscape and sun. I could have spent hours looking for the “perfect” rock – I know it sounds crazy but I love to look for rocks with unusual colourings or lines. On this beach there were very smooth oval or circular rocks (more akin to what I’ve seen off the Atlantic Ocean), so today I was searching for the most perfectly circular rock I could find – came very, very close. (If I just had a few more hours I think I might have found it, maybe next time). 



Tour Day Sponsor Robert Hobbs – thanks, thanks, thanks


Random quote of the day


Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you need to keep moving


Albert Einstein


Today is a landmark day. We have now covered more than ½ of the km distance of the tour and are even one day ahead of schedule!




I still feel very energetic, optimistic and keen to get up early every morning and attack the day’s mileage. My body certainly is tired at the end of each day, but absolutely no injuries, no repetitive strains, nothing. The past 2 years of very intensive training is paying off tremendously and the daily pacing is working. (I fully realize this could change all too quickly, so I’ve just whispered the above two sentences - but we’ve made it more than half way and all is good, very, very good!!)


To everyone who has voiced support and encouragement – thanks so much, it is paying off in giving us that extra boast of energy to complete each day. Monique and I thank you; we are having the time of our lives!

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow amateur photographer I have to say I am loving your shots. The maple leaf is great!

    Jodi Boucher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this
    All the best shots can be seen on Flickr site
    under a variety of sets - look at Favorite Photos section of website to get on (if you've not already)

    ReplyDelete